Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Uncertain and Uncanny.

Doubt is like a coin balanced on its edge: I am waiting for it to fall one way or the other, to know what I believe, but for the moment I just have aimless suspicion. This erodes my days, as the words of the group replay back to me, and I try to analyse them for hidden meaning. The trouble is that the group have never been less than open about their loathing of humanity, so their meanings are far from hidden. Their test for me is whether or not I am capable of deceit – they are wolves in wolves clothing. I could of course go home – but that would be the biggest betrayal of Sebastian that I can think of. I followed him as he was leaving last night, about to ask him if he thought the group would come good on their promise of information, but he burbled and flustered and was gone before I could decide whether to come clean about what I’d been asked to do. Even this now seems suspicious to me – as though he was scared I’d find out where he and his mystery woman met, or scared I’d see her – but I was making him late, so why wouldn’t a man like Sebastian panic at that?

In the mean time I have heard back from the cottage-folk. Their proposal - that I check on the well being of their friend - has been accepted by the others, who agreed that a neutral witness would help to stop the situation escalating and outsiders getting involved. I don’t know who they mean by outsiders if they don’t mean me, but my heightened suspicions have me speculating they mean someone specific. I am going there tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home