Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Detective Work.

I went back to the map of the peaks, since there’s still no word from Challoner. Working south from the Bamford stone circles, there’s a number of other sites that he would have planned to visit prior to Enright’s resurrection. I have no idea of his schedule, or how it must have been rewritten with his sudden popularity, so I figure if I hit the southernmost and work north then I’ll meet him coming down. But that requires me to get to them all in one day, since we could cross paths overnight. For all I know he could have gone back to where he started from. It’s only because of everyone else still being here that I’m confident he’s even in Sheffield.

I got the call from Enright though, or rather one of his subordinates. There’s a strategy meeting on Wednesday. Not at his house this time, some pub in town. They’ve hired the function room. Samuel says the crowd in The Brown Bear were shaking their heads about corporate takeover. The Ruskins crowd (the Carvers, although Samuel distrusts the distinction), they’re looking forward to it.

Samuel was asking his own questions about Reeves, but found it frustrating. The candlelighters and carvers don’t all go to the pub at once like a work social, they drift in and out, going home for a few days, or heading off elsewhere, and return.

Samuel’s only theory on his beating is that Reeves wanted to settle an old score. Unfortunately he’s killed a lot of demons over the decades, and he rarely found out who summoned them. Reeves never went in for demonology though – not by reputation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home