Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Let Downs.

Today’s meeting with Challoner didn’t happen. He’d lured me down to Castle Market as an over familiar place, and left me sitting there for an hour. I’m not surprised. He’s got my number if he couldn’t make it, but he already got his invite out of me. He got to mix with all the men he’s been jealous of for so many years, and no doubt he’s made himself central to Arthur Enright’s club. I don’t even know if has a file to give me.

When I came home I found Angela’s boyfriend in the house. He came up on Tuesday, but they spent most of their time in Angela’s room. He’s pretty scruffy looking, with a beard that forgot to grow in places. He’s asked Angela to go back down to Devon with him when he leaves. No one feels comfortable talking about magic with him around, even though he knows about Angela and Tomlin.

I called a couple of the guys instead, but they’d already gone out – they all went to see the new Rocky film together – so I’m stuck in the house. I’ve told the others about what happened on Friday, but they didn’t see it. I wanted to talk to Challoner about that as much as anything else. For the last two months I've been wanting to know that magic is real, and now that I've seen it in front of me, it really is the most terrifying thing in the world.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your card in my book. Who are you?

3:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cards have been left in books all over the country. If you like the story, spread the word. The more peple who know, the more chance there is of finding Ilford Dyson.

12:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home